Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Hospice

Stand Up To Cancer ran a lively commercial between innings recently that featured the Springsteen song "No Surrender," a great tune and appropriate soundtrack for all the martial metaphors about cancer treatment. It's Jersey Churchillian: "No retreat, baby, no surrender."

In that context, a call to Hospice has the whiff of Vichy, while cancer evokes the Blitz. Cancer has an ability to adapt and overcome that I have to admire, particularly because I have produced it. I have created a cell that got a wrong steer from some bad genes and now the thing just can't stop expanding. Perhaps because I have to own it, the martial metaphors don't seem right to me. Rather the disease seems like a joyous teen who discovers an unhindered ability to grow and unbounded fields in which to wreak teenage havoc, realizing only when the liver is shutting down and the lungs are shot "Oh God, what have I done?"

So that's when it's time to call Hospice. Sally and I were in Boston on Monday for a CT scan to see whether the experimental drugs in my sixth clinical trial would curtail the spread of the disease. The answer is sadly not, the docs said -- the scan revealed the cancer growing rapidly. Now, after five years of trying everything at cancer centers around the country, I am out of options.

Hospice is not a surrender worthy of Marshal Petain. While the Hospice people do not treat the disease, they do treat the symptoms, and I have enough aches and pains at the moment to get them started. In time -- how much time is, without doubt, a question of some interest -- they can haul a variety of medical equipment into our living room in hopes of keeping me out of the hospital.

How much time?  The docs won't say, because they actually don't know, but I've become significantly worse during the last few months and that downhill trend will continue, barring a fortunate strike of lightning. So I'm holding on to my high hopes for the World Series -- Nats are comfortably headed to the playoffs, Royals God love them are fighting to stay in contention. But I am not making any plans for Spring Training, and I'm buying black crepe paper for Sally to hang on our seats next season. Alas, I had just renewed our season tickets.


13 comments:

  1. Well f**k. That's about all I'm good for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's pretty much where we are. I think "Well f**K" is the real first stage of grieving.

      Delete
  2. Oh John. This is harsh. Your writing is so graceful, your subject so grim. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's kind of you to say. Writing is certainly cathartic (although perhaps not as fun as the meds the Hospice people left with me today.)

      Delete
  3. I am late to your blog, John, and mortified over our absence from your lives, but want you to know that I love hearing your voice as I read your beautiful writing. And Meg's voice, in her blog! United Airlines is cutting off my access to wifi shortly, which is as good a time as any to quietly think of you and the fun our families had in Cairo. Your writing is a gift to your friends -- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot I miss about serving my country overseas -- the friendships you develop all over the world in service of a common mission, the excitement of immersion into new cultures, the sight of the U.S. flag snapping in the wind over some distant outpost -- and being able to expense things like Wi-Fi on international flights. It's a great way to make a living.

      Delete
  4. Everybody's right John, you're a great writer! But to tell the truth, I find this whole thing more than a bit surreal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my main point of reference is Monty Python's "Life of Brian." Everyone together now: "Always look on the bright side of life..."

      Delete
    2. Ah, Monty Python. My favorite was always The Lumberjack song. But in today's LGBT-enlightened society, I'm not sure how it's perceived anymore...

      Delete
  5. I continuously continue coming to your website once more simply in case you have posted new contents.
    Manual Ice Cream Makers

    ReplyDelete